Thursday 8 December 2011

"As you wish" doesn't work

In my relationship with H, an early commitment was to be her servant. But my intention was never for that to be one-sided. I did not want a relationship where she felt indebted, nor one where I was trampled on. In my mind this was clear from the first, traumatic year of  our marriage: I would serve H in the hope that when she felt loved and secure she would also serve me. (Is there any difference between mutual servanthood and mutual love?) But instead, she has experienced my service as oppressive – perhaps as a debt she cannot repay – and built a wall of protection around herself, founded on a mistrust of my best intentions, that prevented any mutuality at all.

I’ve always called it servanthood, but as she rejects that core element of my self-image, my self confidence is shattered. Is it just she who has misunderstood, or do others share the same perception that I am arrogant and judgemental? Have I built my life on a bad idea?

Perhaps generosity is a more helpful image of essentially the same desire. I love being generous: generous with my money, with my time, and in the way I interpret other’s motives. I love the giving of myself to others, and never more than to H.

The whole of our marriage has been made hollow by a lack of intimacy, which makes me wonder what it is that I have lost by now being separated. It’s not as though past intimacy has suddenly been taken away. What’s different now? Even though H didn’t allow herself to be intimate with me, I embedded myself in a sort of one-way intimacy. Always generous to her. Always hoping she would one day see and appreciate it: like Wesley’s repeated “As you wish”. Always serving in the hope that she would one day reciprocate. But my Buttercup never came to that life-changing moment when her eyes opened to the realisation of what mutual love could mean.

What’s different is not any change in what I can expect from H, but that I can no longer express my generosity, my intimacy, with her.

No, that’s rubbish; unhelpful rationalisation. What’s different is that I can no longer feel her warmth next to me in bed, can no longer feel her softness under my hand, no longer exchange a kiss, a cuddle. No longer delude myself that she wishes those things from me.

I knew that she was taking advantage of my generosity, though I mostly chose not to know it. She would never engage in a discussion of it and I drifted in a quicksand of optimism, dreaming that one day she would understand. I should have listened to a counsellor who, very early in our marriage, warned that servanthood [I assume he meant servanthood that is not mutual] is not a good basis for a relationship.

— Nat

8 comments:

  1. I spent 10 years giving my ex everything she wanted in the futile attempt to 'make her happy'.

    In the end the thing I discovered was the only thing that made her happy was when what she wanted was aligned with what she got. And that she had no deep sense of self to guide her wants, more the impulsive demands of a child.

    I couldn't face the future trying to fill a bottomless hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, happiness that's dependant on getting what you want is very childish. Being on the "giving" side must have made you feel mis-used and unappreciated. But when you deeply love the person it can be very hard to get out of that pattern can't it?

    --Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this blog. Really love it. I am in a similar situation. My wife of 23 years has decided she does not believe in marriage, has started a relationship with a guy at work 24 years younger, but says we can live in home and "co-parent" the 4 kids still here. She refuses all couples counseling but at least is trying to stay in counseling for her Bi-polar disorder. I have been here all along to support her through all medical and emotional crises but that is not good enough. I continue to try to be supportive of her but not the affair. Bad example for kids still in home. Even tried the Wesley "as you wish approach" but only hurts me. Definitely will keep this blog in favorites. Thanks Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping in Gil.

    Our situational similarity is remarkable, though some significant differences too. I have asked myself many times whether anyone is likely to find this blog useful, becasue every case is unique. I'm not sure how much of one person's separation/divorce experience makes sense to anyone else, but I do think there can be an encouraging sense of solidarity among us.

    So feel welcome to let off some steam here without fearing that someone will advise you about the "5 easy steps to recovery"!!!

    --Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, how are you sharing the child-care responsibilities? Is it working?

    --Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nat, Our kids are 14,15,17, and 19 so not much childcare just coordinating social schedules. We get along fine at home, no arguing or fighting, we just don't talk about us only logistics of kids, dinner or car. Really glad I checked back in today after busy holidays. Needed it, sort of a down day. Tired of people telling me to "kick her out" or "you deserve better". I have been and always will be supportive of her. I still believe in Us and feel if she gets her mental health straigthened out, she may return to the person I married. I too grew up in religious family and cannot just turn off the commitment. We have both changed a lot in the past 23 years and feel we can continue to grow together. Thanks for the ear and best of luck to you.
    --Gil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for having the personal integrity to support your wife and kids regardless of others' advice.

    Sorry it has been a hard day. Christmas and New Year are such important family times that I am not surprised about it being tough.

    I find that living in the same house makes it very dificult to limit conversations with H to just the bare necessities. That's made easier because I have to be away from home three days (and nights) a week for work. So she looks after the kids for those days and then I look after them more when I am home. I think that's useful for the kids as well because they get used to being with just one of us at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your New Year is going well. Just checking back in and to say again how much your blog has helped me. I reread them when down or frustrated and they help. Best wishes to you and your family in your journey and struggles. Thanks and I look forward to future postings.
    Gil

    ReplyDelete